Rick Meyers publishes 5 helpful books on tennis
Abilene tennis pro/coach Rick Meyers has produced five new books of tennis lessons and tips for players of all ages and levels, from beginners to champions.
Three of the books are compilations from the Tennis Corner column he wrote for the Abilene Reporter-News from 1998 to 2016. The columns were always helpful and practical, and Meyers was often encouraged to collect them into easy-to-use book format. Now he has done that, along with two other titles.
The five books are available at Texas Star Trading Company for $20 each, or in digital format at MeyersTennis.com.
Rick will be featured at a book signing at Texas Star from 10-11:30 a.m. on Saturday, March 21, 2020 If you can’t make it, let us know and we’ll get a book signed for you — 325-672-9696.
The five books are:
- The Making of a Champion deals with the physical part of the game as well as commitment to improving.
- The Mindset of a Champion concerns the all-important mental aspects of tennis, or pretty much any other sport.
- The Management of a Champion covers parenting issues, role models, sportsmanship, and other topics.
- Wristy Tennis focuses on developing a strong wrist and using it effectively.
- Finally, Meyers has published the Meyers Tennis Drill Book, a spiral-bound volume for tennis coaches at all levels. It consists of 118 illustrated drills as well as more than 50 practical tips to improve players’ physical and mental approaches to the game.
Meyers obviously knows tennis, having been a high school (Abilene Cooper) and college (TCU) champion who went on to play on the pro tennis circuit for three years and directed Abilene’s pro tournament for 14 years. He has taught more than 135 players who earned college scholarships, and in recent years has coached tennis at Texas A&M and Hardin-Simmons.
“As a teaching pro since 1983,” Meyers writes, “I have always wanted to share everything I know about tennis with everyone and anyone who was willing to learn.”
Now he has done that, in a very big way.